As stated by the Department of Homeland Security —
“The first and best practice to minimize risk and exposure to personnel and the public is centralizing the mail handling/processing operation at a separate location.”
- Centralization minimizes risk, reduces cost, and increases efficiency and effectiveness.
- It lessens risk by limiting exposure to one location and fewer personnel.
- It reduces cost by eliminating the redundancy of multiple mail centers, personnel, and equipment.
- Utilization of a trained staff working together at one location increases efficiency.
- Deploying better equipment at one location that greatly enhances risk reduction improves effectiveness.